IPL at Grafton Dermatology
Lighten, smooth, enhance and rejuvenate the skin “all over the body” with IPL.
Intense Pulsed Light Treatments
Lighten, smooth, enhance and rejuvenate the skin “all over the body”. The results are nothing short of remarkable. You can have more Beautiful Skin.
IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) is technically not a real Laser. IPL, unlike Laser, uses white light composed of many frequencies (colors of light) compared to Lasers that use only 1 wavelength (color) of light. IPL with multiple light wavelengths has the ability to effectively treat multiple problems within the skin. Your skin can appear more youthful, radiant and bright. IPL rejuvenates skin, all over the body, by painlessly using white light to penetrate into the skin’s dermis.
The IPL’s light, once within the dermis, uses different wavelengths of IPL light that are absorbed by elements (target) within the skin. One of the IPL’s wavelengths will be absorbed by age-spot pigment, another wavelength by the broken capillaries (actually IPL hits the pigment within the red blood cells within the capillary) and yet another wavelength, of the IPL, will be absorbed by the fibroblasts. Fibroblasts are responsible for making new Collagen within the skin. The above mentioned changes within the skin created by IPL Treatments effectively rejuvenate skin all over the body…for brighter, more beautiful skin.
IPL is often used for the following conditions:
- Reduction in Erythema or redness of the face, neck or chest including the medical condition called “Rosacea”. A 75%, or higher, reduction can be seen after 5 treatments with the benefits continuing up to 12 months after the treatments. Additional maintenance treatments can extend this period.
- Flushing (sporadic redness) of the face, neck and chest. IPL remains one of the only effective treatments for this condition that causes embarrassment to many individuals. Flushing occurs with stress or alcohol consumption and can be dramatically reduced 75%, or more, after 5 treatments.
- Rosacea is a medical condition characterized by a low-grade skin inflammation. The redness may be controlled with medication such as topical or oral antibiotics. IPL reduces the inflammation in the skin and may eliminate the need for medication.
- Photoaging or Sun Damage is skin that has fine wrinkles, freckling, irregular pigmentation, coarse or rough appearance, large pores and a dull texture. IPL has been shown to visibly reduce these skin characteristics creating skin that is brighter and more youthful in appearance.
- Pigmentation Problems (Brown Age-Spots, Melasma or Pregnancy-Mask) are characterized by uneven brown skin pigmentation. Other signs of sun-damage may also be present. IPL treatments can significantly reduce this uneven pigmentation, especially when combined with our specific skin-care products.
- Acne Scarring may be visibly improved with IPL treatments that induce Collagen formation in the dermis.
- Post-Surgical Scars can be lightened with IPL treatments that specifically target vessels in the forming scar tissue.
- Stretch Marks that are red or purple in color can be faded using IPL.
Advantages of IPL over Other Treatments and Procedures
IPL has the following advantages over other skin rejuvenating modalities including Laser Skin Resurfacing, Dermabrasion, and Chemical Peeling:
- IPL/RF are the only effective treatments for redness or flushing of the face, neck and chest. Other modalities have not proven as effective or risk skin damage and potential scarring.
- Substantial visible improvement with no down-time. No bruising, no crusting, no weeping skin means clients can return to work or activities in as little as 30 minutes.
- IPL treatments, with the proper training, are quick, safe with little risk or scarring unlike other skin rejuvenation modalities.
- IPL treatments are performed as an office treatment using a topical anesthetic gel.
- IPL treatments can be performed safely on non-facial skin of the neck, chest, hands, back, arms, abdomen and legs….areas where it’s unsafe and unwise to use harsh chemicals and some Lasers.
Under the direction of Dr. Lee Grafton, Dr. Tamela Charbonnet and Dr. Kristal Guidroz, Tricia Petrella and Sarah Martin board certified estheticians, and Taylor Zeringue, board certified cosmetologist will provide a complete skin care program consisting of in-office Medical Facials, HydraFacial, Micro Peels, Laser Hair Removal, IPL Treatments, make-up consultations using Glo Mineral Cosmetics.